- News Resources
- Favorite Blogs
- Comment Policy
- Mark Levin
- Guest Commentary!
- Jen’s Book Reviews
When campaigns gather information from strategists, one of the most annoying things I notice is the importance placed on poll-tested buzz words. In a Republican primary, where every candidate seeks to gain the vote of its base, the biggest buzz word is ‘conservative.’
During the 2010 elections, newly active conservatives (the tea party) worked to unseat Democrats who played the big buzz word but then voted for the wholesale take over of the health industry. They also worked to primary (negate incumbency) life-time anointed Republicans who hadn’t really been scrutinized in the past.
The actions of the tea party showed they didn’t need to be told who is more conservative, they understood instinctively.
One of my favorite quotes from Margaret Thatcher is, “Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.” I have used that quote in the past referring to conservative candidates. If you have to tell people you are a conservative, you aren’t.
But Mitt Romney really stepped in it at CPAC. I’ve read that he was supposed to say he was a conservative governor, and that he ad-libbed the word ‘severely.’ That may or not be true, but to use both words suggests neither have meaning.
The word ‘severe’ suggests that Mitt Romney was a strict conservative, a disciplined conservative, a rigorous indefatigable conservative, an exact or scrupulous conservative, a rigid or even a harsh conservative. He trumps Barry Goldwater.
But admitting in 2002 that he is a moderate, Romney’s actions as Governor support his assertion as a candidate.
When someone changes their entire viewpoint, there is usually some defining moment in their lives that causes them to do a complete 180. Near-death experiences and prison often turn people who have previously been on a wayward path to come to God.
But the defining moment in Mitt Romney’s life seems to be that he started running for President. Since he defends the most progressive thing he has ever done in Massachusetts, Romneycare, there is no way that severe conservatism could actually be applied.
I’m pretty conservative. I’m a student of conservatism. I have many friends who are conservative. Yet, I cannot think of one whom I would describe as severely conservative. Not one.
Since it’s possible Romney ad-libbed the comment, I have to look at why. It could be that looking out at the room of people at CPAC, he was getting the hint that they didn’t believe him, therefore, he added ‘severe.’ Perhaps he realized that virtually nobody would vote for him at CPAC unless they viewed him as the most conservative candidate, and with Santorum and Gingrich as his competition, he needed to contrast himself.
So Romney’s effort to convince conservatives that he is conservative, has now changed into trying to persuade us that he is the most conservative of the lot.
I think that most conservatives are not convinced, and those who are, are admitting that the word conservative has little meaning.
Welcome to the debate.
- "It always amazes me the sheer number of women who defend abortion. Legal abortion has killed 52 million innocents since '73, that means 26 million roughly, were women. Sick." -Jen Kuznicki
- Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country. -Margaret Thatcher
- Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States. -Ronald Reagan
- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. -Margaret Thatcher
- Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all. -Winston Churchill
- Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. -Winston Churchill
I Don’t Deny Global Warming ExistsI don't deny that global warming exists. It does not exist. There is not a pink elephant in my kitchen. I'm not denying it. It is not there. If I denied that there was a pink elephant in my kitchen, it would have to be there, but I would be lying to myself and everyone and walk around it to cook. But it is not there, therefore, I am not denying that it is.
- I can find neither solace or comfort in government. I cannot find hope nor light among those pretending to take my best interest to heart. I cannot worship or revere another human being because there are none alive that can instill my faith. Give me the One God; the One Who had created the heavens and earth and had purposefully breathed life into me. The One Who dwells in the secret place and watches over me and always keeps me company when all others abandoned me. But for Him I would have no purpose in this life; thank you Dear God.
New York Times Bestseller by Mark R. Levin
My Mischievous Twitter Feed
- My commentary on CNS News today- Are There Two Americas?... http://t.co/dc1G6dJx5t about 1 hour ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Net worth of Miley Cyrus and Roseanne Barr- 150M vs 80M which would put both in upper class, but they are truly low class people. about 9 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- CALL YOUR MI STATE SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES AND SPEAKER BOLGER. BOLGER MUST SCHEDULE THIS VOTE THIS WEEK! http://t.co/vMeMX2sUiw 03:54:24 PM December 09, 2013 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Again, only Senator Ted Cruz is speaking up on the Republican side, while the leadership whiffs on messaging.... http://t.co/d8loh2j0vn 10:45:30 AM December 09, 2013 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @HarrietBaldwin: NY Post: Democratic Party Has No More Centrists http://t.co/NoIKXYHW5Q Hijacked by Progs, Socialists and commies. 09:55:01 AM December 09, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Velvet 50's dress: Meet Estelle:) I'll make one in green today. click the link:... http://t.co/E2i9Z2OXy5 08:41:44 AM December 09, 2013 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Fun 50's styles for me to make today: Meet Vivien:) click the link:... http://t.co/da8nyvcSQ7 08:39:48 AM December 09, 2013 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite