- News Resources
- Favorite Blogs
- Comment Policy
- Mark Levin
- Guest Commentary!
- Jen’s Book Reviews
Twitchy shines a light on some tweets by comedians Elayne Boosler and Bill Maher, who used an identical argument to admonish the tea party. That if the tea party had just not been opposed to taxes, they wouldn’t have gotten the treatment.
On the segment Really! with Seth and Amy, Saturday Night Live player Amy Poehler used the same tack to suggest that the tea party had it coming. ”Really, Tea Party, really? You’re surprised you are targeted by the IRS? You named yourself after a group of people who proudly and historically violated tax laws. Look, if I had a vanity license plate that said, “Weed 420″, I might expect to get pulled over now and then.”
These are comedians. So laugh.
Representative Brady was right to ask the question “Is this still America?” of the IRS chief last week, but it implies that the government would never use its power to single out people who look or think a certain way. There are cases where unjust profiling has been used by law enforcement and this isn’t the first rodeo for conservative groups getting the treatment from the IRS.
But the issue is whether the government has the authority to control an individual or group of individuals based on their opposition to its policies. The argument from the left concedes that privilege is vested in those who control the governing authority. How does this rationale fit in with the rest of the left’s concurrence with the sovereignty of big government?
It is said, redundantly, that one’s individual rights should be weighed against the good of the whole. Yet, when an expression of thought lands on the back bumper of your car, or a sign at a rally, or your license plate, you are to expect to be scrutinized as an individual by authority. Government abuse of the individual is not any different from their mantra and institutionalized belief system that the ‘man is trying to keep you down,’ so rise up and ‘fight the power’ of corporations, industrialists and the rich, except for the fact that an individual, a corporation, or an industrialist cannot force you to buy into their perceived scheme. The government can, and is reflected by the view of those who reject their own sovereignty, that the government is the ultimate authority.
It’s all about coercion. The plain fact is that a corporate head can’t make you buy his product, but the government can make you, under penalty of fines or jail, purchase your freedom of harassment by compliance.
Yet that is how the IRS is set up, and now, they are moving into the great uncharted waters of forcing compliance to a newly created, hyper-partisan healthcare law, the keystone of which is a coercive mandate to purchase that which you may not want, nor have funds for.
No accommodation has been made for you as an individual, especially if you have complained, because the all-powerful government has determined that your problems are to be ignored for the good of the whole.
Isn’t the ultimate argument against slavery, the fact that one man cannot own another? That one cannot exert control over another, force him to perform tasks under threat of abuse?
Conservatives argue, in varying degrees, that the individual is the ultimate minority, and that good government respects the diversity of thought and ingenuity of each individual contribution. Our Bill of Rights guarantee freedom of expression in matters of politics, religion, and includes the written and spoken word. It is that expression that is under attack from a government whose ultimate authority was set up to be in the hands of the people. The ultimate authority was vested in the people, not whoever was elected to govern.
The suggestion that someone ‘had it coming,’ tells of the mindset and hypocrisy of the left, and blows to smithereens the assumption that we are created equal, as written in the Declaration of Independence.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
Independent thought and the expression of it, is a guaranteed right, not by the authority of government, but by the authority of our Creator. It is a faith in government, or more pointedly, a faith in man, that hands us over to his abuses.
Certain government spokespeople, most notably, Pelosi‘s rant about “anti-government ideology,” and Harry Reid‘s assumptions “against government in any form,” stand by their rhetoric that the tea party, and its political allies, are against government. But the crux of the matter is not that patriotic Americans are against government, but that an all-powerful government stands against us.
If silly, thought-deficient comedic expression attempts to justify the actions of the controlling authority, it’s not only not funny, but offers the ‘powers that be’ a pass on selective abuse, and subverts individuality of thought in favor of a government’s insistence to its current norm.
Power to the people.
Welcome to the debate.
- "It always amazes me the sheer number of women who defend abortion. Legal abortion has killed 52 million innocents since '73, that means 26 million roughly, were women. Sick." -Jen Kuznicki
- Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country. -Margaret Thatcher
- Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States. -Ronald Reagan
- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. -Margaret Thatcher
- Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all. -Winston Churchill
- Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. -Winston Churchill
I Don’t Deny Global Warming ExistsI don't deny that global warming exists. It does not exist. There is not a pink elephant in my kitchen. I'm not denying it. It is not there. If I denied that there was a pink elephant in my kitchen, it would have to be there, but I would be lying to myself and everyone and walk around it to cook. But it is not there, therefore, I am not denying that it is.
- I can find neither solace or comfort in government. I cannot find hope nor light among those pretending to take my best interest to heart. I cannot worship or revere another human being because there are none alive that can instill my faith. Give me the One God; the One Who had created the heavens and earth and had purposefully breathed life into me. The One Who dwells in the secret place and watches over me and always keeps me company when all others abandoned me. But for Him I would have no purpose in this life; thank you Dear God.
New York Times Bestseller by Mark R. Levin
My Mischievous Twitter Feed
- Speaker Jase Bolger Needs To Get Abortion Opt Out Done Now!!... http://t.co/0zrp7AdpnK about 4 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Speaker Jase Bolger Needs To Get Abortion Insurance Opt Out Done Now!!... http://t.co/vubBDVQbuh about 5 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- BELIEVE!! Michiganders, please send this to Jase Bolger, and if you are lobbyists, get a move on, we need this... http://t.co/edf9Adjkyv about 6 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Michiganders, please send this to Jase Bolger, and if you are lobbyists, get a move on, we need this Abortion Opt... http://t.co/mEmIUf340j about 6 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Anyone in Michigan know who is "Citizens for Traditional Values" and why they keep sending out emails that tell... http://t.co/qdCSP8ubV3 about 7 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." RONALD REAGAN 8/8/1992 about 8 hours ago from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My commentary on CNS News today- Are There Two Americas?... http://t.co/dc1G6dJx5t 03:10:43 PM December 10, 2013 from Facebook ReplyRetweetFavorite